Friday, June 2, 2017

Show Don't Tell, A New Masterclass


Hi Writer,

There comes a time in every fiction writer's career when the "Show Don't Tell" question rears its head.


I remember when it happened for me.

I'd already written a lot - and I mean plenty.

Two and a half novels, maybe thirty short stories...

In fact, I'd been writing fiction for over two decades before I asked myself: What is this "show don't tell" thing?

The first time I looked into it I thought, well, I THINK I do that...

But - the more I thought about it - the more I realized I was kidding myself.

I tried to ignore the gnawing sensation I'd perhaps been getting the craft of storytelling wrong for years!

Finally it dawned on me. I wasn't showing my stories at all.

No, I was relying heavily on my author's voice to to TELL my stories - which is actually the very WORST thing you can do!

SHOWING hit me like an epiphany.

Once I understood the concept, there was no going back.

And it's been like that ever since.

Now I always SHOW - that's where it all starts, how it continues until the end of the story writing process.

Once you truly understand what showing instead of telling actually means, you wonder why you couldn't see the OBVIOUS.

Because SHOWING is the ONLY WAY to tell a story well.

The issue is super important, whether you realize it now or not.

And seriously, once you GET IT, you'll wonder why you wasted so much writing time!

Honestly, this is something you MUST KNOW if you're going to be writing GREAT stories, getting them read, loved, and sold.

It's FUNDAMENTAL stuff.

As a consequence, Robyn and I have put our heads together and created a Show Don't Tell course at my Writing Academy.

It's full on and will help you in every area of your fiction writing: idea creation, characters, plotting, editing.

The best part is that there are dozens of examples from bestselling books to illustrate exactly how other authors do it.

This approach is unique I believe, because it's rare to see writers brave enough to analyze other top selling author's work.

The course is great. And it's written by two people who have created over 100 bestsellers of their own, fiction AND nonfiction.

You'll benefit, of that there's no doubt.

Also there's a couple of quality bonuses. Complete e-books about Creative Writing, one from Cambridge University and the 7th Edition of a "must have" manual on the craft.

Rob Parnell's Writing Academy
Sincerely,
Rob Parnell's Writing Academy
rob@easywaytowrite.com
531 Church Road
Warnertown
Port Pirie SA 5540
AUSTRALIA 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Mother's Day

A mother's worth is incalculable and cannot be overstated. She gives up her wants and needs to ensure your happiness. Her presence in yo...